GR Network: Homebrew Wrestling, MMA Figs, Ringside Collectibles, Wrestling Figs
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Re: Last Concert You Went To?

Went to see Mark Knopfler at the SECC on Friday night and enjoyed it alot. He played less Dire Straits stuff than he had the last time I saw him but that's not a huge surprise. And to be honest given he's been solo for so long now it's probably the way it should be, regardless of how much I'd enjoy a set laden with Straits hits.

The ones he did were the ones he was always still going to have in the set, though I think of the five Brothers In Arms and Romeo And Juliet are the two that sit most comfortably with his current stuff. What helped make the gig was that his supporting cast (several of whom played a few instruments throughout the night and played them all well) were all very good. I suspect to those who still think of Knopfler as the Dire Straits frontman it was strange to see him spend the entire performance sitting down and sharing the stage with flutes, accordians and fiddles (as well as the obvious drums, bass and keyboards) but that's what a lot of his stuff's about now.

It's probably a result of so many of his songs stretching out in live versions (as well as having to factor in some Straits stuff as he knows some people mostly go for those) but I do feel there's some aspects of his solo career that he sorely neglects. Most notably his first solo album, Golden Heart, but there's stuff on all the others that he never seems to touch. I don't know whether it's because he's trying to fit in Dire Straits and stuff from whichever album the tour is promoting whilst wanting to freestyle a little over some of them but he could do with trimming some of the songs back a little and covering more of a range of his post-Straits songs.

Very much enjoyed though, and I'll likely look into going to see him on his next tour.

My Mood
    Twisted

Recently enjoyed a concert featuring Fuel, Theory of a Deadman, Seether, Akon, and headlined by Alice In Chains. AIC was the highlight of the night for me, mainly considering thinking the band was over with and I would never hear anything new from one of my faves. In the beginning I wasn't the biggest fan of getting the new singer, but after seeing them live, I have to say the new singer is awesome. Not the biggest Akon fan, but his set was alright. I had seen Seether twice before this and it was pretty much the exact same show so while cool, nothing special for me. Not a huge ToaD fan either, but do like a few songs and it was nice seeing them live. Fuel was great, I was able to meet them afterwards and they all seem like really cool guys.

Overall it was great show. It was my first concert in awhile and it was one to remember. Had a blast.

-NSAFA-

Achievement Hunter Poop Ship Destroyer's Avatar

Before this year, I never thought I would ever get to see Faith No More, but I finally did last night. And they fucking rocked, even in the nasty, sweaty heat. Mike Patton and the band's still got it. Hope they stick around for a while...

Keepin' it brown

YouTube Player

Just saw Alannah Myles, Night Ranger, Peter Frampton and Alice Cooper last night. Alice rocked the fucking place off. Would definitely recommend anyone to go see his shows, even if you're not a fan of his, it's worth it for the stage acts he does. I'm fortunately a fan so I enjoyed it that much more.

Tonight, I will be seeing Mitch Ryder, April Wine, Heart and Lynyrd Skynyrd. I'll report back on how the show went.

Sig & Avatar Credit: Imp

Yeah i had a chance to go see the Gruesome Twosome tour a few months ago with Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper. I didnt really want to drop like 60 bucks a ticket to see these guys, but i would've loved to go just for the theatrics of both their sets. From the videos i've seen of the concert on Youtube, it definitely looked like a helluva lot of fun.

l8ter
    Accomplishments
    Member of the 1st GR Hall of Fame, 4x Mega Mod, Former Longest Reign as a Mega Mod, 3x Mod, 2x GR Admin, Former WWG Intercontinental Champion, Former WWG World Champion

Skynyrd were simply awesome. Heart were brilliant as well. April Wine should have played more hits. Mitch Ryder was good as well.

I uploaded the pictures. Mostly of Alice Cooper. You can view the album here.

Sig & Avatar Credit: Imp

Saw The Flaming Lips last night. Hadn't seen them since 06, so was pretty excited to see them again. They were awesome and the Embryonic songs sounded great and heavy and were definitely the highlights (best thing they've done in years, IMO). Of course all the usual theatrics. Only complaint is that it would be really nice to hear some older stuff that they never play anymore. I'd love to hear stuff from Priest Driven Ambulance, Clouds, Transmissions (besides She Don't Use Jelly), etc. Didn't even play anything from The Soft Bulletin. That, and Wayne needs to shut up sometimes. But it was basically what I was expecting and a lot of fun.

Keepin' it brown

YouTube Player

Saw Public Enemy at their free show in Central Park yesterday. It was pretty great despite the rain and the iffy sound (as always at Summerstage). Chuck said something about PE being lemonade, but VH1 just brings the diabetes (about Flava Flav, since he's the sugar), which was pretty funny.

Son of Bazerk came out before PE and did like a 5 minute medley (as well as some other guys before them), and were booed off stage. I never heard of them before, but this was apparently their first appearance in nearly 20 years, so that kinda sucks for them. They were throwing their t-shirts at the crowd, and some guy next to me heads through the crowd and angrily hurls the shirt back on stage to loud cheers, which was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. They were pretty awful.
    Keepin' it brown

YouTube Player

Haha yeah that reminds me of when i saw Shinedown and Angels & Airwaves a few years ago for my local rock stations X-mas concert. One of the opening bands, who was probably the worst band i've ever seen, they might have been a local band, i dont know, but they were so bad, that every one of their CDs they threw out into the crowd got immediately thrown back at them on stage. I would've felt some what sorry for them if they weren't so bad.

l8ter
    Accomplishments
    Member of the 1st GR Hall of Fame, 4x Mega Mod, Former Longest Reign as a Mega Mod, 3x Mod, 2x GR Admin, Former WWG Intercontinental Champion, Former WWG World Champion

Saw fucking Sleep on Monday night. HOLY FUCKING EPIC. Loudest and heaviest concert I'd been to, until it was replaced by Boris & Sunn O))) performing their album, Altar, on Tuesday night. That was also epic, except that they blew the power out after the 1st song and had to fix it for 40 minutes, which kinda killed the mood, and then they came back on in the dark and with no fog to conserve power. So it could've been more amazing but it was still excellent.

I really can't begin to describe how loud that Boris/Sunn concert was. My whole body was vibrating from those bowel moving bass sounds. It was fun looking at the crowds reactions, with people around me staggering with their mouths half open. Sleep was also insanely loud, but Sunn O))) and Boris took it to another level

Totally mindblowing week of concerts.

What my vision was like for most of the concert, due to bass vibrations:

Sunn O)))/Boris

Keepin' it brown

YouTube Player

Saw Roger Waters play The Wall a few weeks ago.

Greatest experience of my life. It was truly epic. I wish I was had enough money to go to every show....but man...i don't think I'll ever enjoy another concert again...it was THAT good.

Just got back from seeing Endless Hallway, Architects, Chiodos, Bless The Fall, and Atreyu. All in all, a pretty good show. Hadn't really listened to Atreyu for a while, but it was just nice to go to a concert again. Hadn't been to one since the end of march.

l8ter
    Accomplishments

YouTube Player

Went to see the brilliant Spaghetti Western Orchestra in Birmingham on Wednesday night. They're five guys from Australia who have made a show based on the works of Ennio Morricone, whose music is synonymous with the Spaghetti Western.

They really took things beyond a simple concert to create the ultimate live Western experience. Mixed in amongst the traditional concert aspect of the show are a host of original skits, a wide array of authentic sound effects, and perhaps most importantly a large dose of humour. The Orchestra's passion for what they do shines through from start to finish; it's evident that they're living out fantasies of being up on the big screen with Eastwood, Van Cleef and the like every step of the way.

As good as they are as multi-talented musicians, the Orchestra's strength is an all around ability to perform and to pull it all together so well as a unit; so well in fact that I'd recommend the show to anyone, regardless of whether they like Westerns or not. The result of their efforts is a terrific and very modestly priced evening out, which pays a fitting homage to the evocative works of arguably the greatest of all movie composers.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread Information