GR Network: Homebrew Wrestling, MMA Figs, Ringside Collectibles, Wrestling Figs
    Completionist Sudden Depact 2.0's Avatar

Cain Velasquez vs. Frank Mir title-eliminator added to UFC 146

UFC 146's lineup is getting bigger and bigger both literally and figuratively.

UFC officials today announced that former UFC heavyweight champions Cain Velasquez (9-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) and Frank Mir (16-5 MMA, 14-5 UFC) will meet at the May event.

The winner gets a guaranteed title shot against either champion Junior Dos Santos or Alistair Overeem, who meet in the night's headliner.

UFC 146, which also includes heavyweights Roy Nelson vs. Antonio Silva, takes place May 26 at Las Vegas' MGM Grand Garden Arena. The main card airs on pay-per-view while FX carries the prelims.

Velasquez vs. Mir is expected to take the co-headlining slot.

Velasquez fights for the first time since November, when he lost his belt to Dos Santos in a 64-second UFC on FOX 1 headliner. Prior to that, the former NCAA Division I All-American wrestler opened his career with a 9-0 mark that included eight knockouts. He won his belt with a TKO of Brock Lesnar, but after a yearlong layoff due to an injured shoulder, he lost it to Dos Santos in his next bout.

Unlike most UFC fights, officials haven't booked a recent loser against another recent loser. In fact, Mir recently has continued a career resurgence with a three-fight win streak over Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (KO), Nelson (decision) and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (a come-from-behind submission). In fact, his only losses in his past nine fights have come in title fights to Lesnar and Shane Carwin. from mmajunkie
    i want Cain Velasquez to win so i can see Velasquez vs. Overeem
    GamingRing Accomplishments
    1 of 2 Wrestlemania XXIV Prediction Winners
    WWE Royal Rumble 2009 Prediction Winner

credit to Chocolate Booty Man for my avatar

CTO / Server Admin Ryan Kightlinger's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cynical

Re: Cain Velasquez vs. Frank Mir title-eliminator added to UFC 146

146 is shaping up to be a solid event.

A few of us will be in attendance for 147 and the Fan Expo in July.
    Co-Founder of WrestlingGames.com [1996 - 2001]

Thread Information