GR Network: Homebrew Wrestling, MMA Figs, Ringside Collectibles, Wrestling Figs
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: THQ cancels all 2014 projects, selling themselves off?

Quote Originally Posted by zhigge View Post
    did it ever occur to you that by the time i was done typing you were no longer the guy above??? or that i was talking about the guy above you.. geez everybody on the rag in here..
    Yes that did occur to me, however sometimes it makes it much more easier to use the reply with quotes. But no big deal, it happens.

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xarmark77 View Post
    Do you know how many companies have said that "we are not selling". If they have to say things about it, that means they are getting offers. So, maybe they have on January 17, 2012 have decided that they are not doing anything. Things change QUICKLY. All you need is further problems with Europe and their stock sounding pretty bad at .66. Try to think about $.002 a share. Also, companies go bankrupt. Macy's went bankrupt, K-mart went bankrupt and a million others. So, they can make that official statement. Just remember how quickly things changed not just for one company, but just about every company and individual who wasn't a millionaire and a billionaire in September 2008 (and being that rich was no guarantee). Things change an in INSTANT.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

To be honest no I do not know how many companies have said that " we are not selling " .

And yes your right things change in an INSTANT.
    Is anyone open to an opportunity getting paid to help promote a new social media ????
    If so then go to this site https://www.l9app.com/fireup For more info and watch the video.

Gaming Purist

UFC3 needs to sell big otherwise we will probably hear rumors again. With less games being release what they make needs to make sales goals

My Mood
    Amused

While I don't believe the rumor until THQ says it themselves, I'm sure they have lost some profits over the years. They did cancel the MX vs ATV series, which made them A LOT of profit from 2000-2005. It wasn't doing so well lately though, so it got canceled.

Also, I agree that 2K or EA could probably do a good job with a wrestling game, but think about this. All those sports games they make? They have SEASONS. The WWE DOES NOT. All that commentary they get just right? Commentators have time in the off-season just like the players. Sure, they may cover other sports, but they still have more time than the WWE announce team. Plus, 95% of the time they are in the US. WWE travels all over the world, so they aren't as available as everyone else. As far as roster updates go, while models may look good in sports games, they don't have the detail of the wrestlers. They don't need a separate model for cutscenes, entrances, and matches either. They have the same model all the time and 1 attire. They don't get their own entrance and, other than NBA 2K, they don't get custom moves. Each wrestler is unique while most everyone in other sports games all look a lot more alike or much less like their real life counterpart. Anybody who picks up the license IF THQ loses it would have a lot of catching up to do really. It could take 2-3 years for them to get to where THQ is now. While you may say it took THQ 12 years to get here, not all the current technology was available during that time. You always have to take into account the WWE telling them what to do as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Showtime View Post
    While I don't believe the rumor until THQ says it themselves, I'm sure they have lost some profits over the years. They did cancel the MX vs ATV series, which made them A LOT of profit from 2000-2005. It wasn't doing so well lately though, so it got canceled.

Also, I agree that 2K or EA could probably do a good job with a wrestling game, but think about this. All those sports games they make? They have SEASONS. The WWE DOES NOT. All that commentary they get just right? Commentators have time in the off-season just like the players. Sure, they may cover other sports, but they still have more time than the WWE announce team. Plus, 95% of the time they are in the US. WWE travels all over the world, so they aren't as available as everyone else. As far as roster updates go, while models may look good in sports games, they don't have the detail of the wrestlers. They don't need a separate model for cutscenes, entrances, and matches either. They have the same model all the time and 1 attire. They don't get their own entrance and, other than NBA 2K, they don't get custom moves. Each wrestler is unique while most everyone in other sports games all look a lot more alike or much less like their real life counterpart. Anybody who picks up the license IF THQ loses it would have a lot of catching up to do really. It could take 2-3 years for them to get to where THQ is now. While you may say it took THQ 12 years to get here, not all the current technology was available during that time. You always have to take into account the WWE telling them what to do as well.
    You do make some good points there. I mean it would no doubt be just as tough on either 2K Or EA and or who ever else picks up the rights to the WWE games if THQ where to lose them.
    Sure THQ may not have had the technology way back when they first start to product the WWE / WWF games, however at some point in time like right around HCTP and DOR series, that is when THQ had some pretty good wrestling games, then for whatever there reasoning is they trashed it. I don't get it and to this day I will never get how one company of any kind can move in the right area and then ruin it with in the following year or so.

What ever the case is we will just have to wait and see what happens as far as the WWE games goes and any other games that THQ products.
    Is anyone open to an opportunity getting paid to help promote a new social media ????
    If so then go to this site https://www.l9app.com/fireup For more info and watch the video.

Bad Apple
    (Banned)

My Mood
    Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by WWE RKO View Post
    You do make some good points there. I mean it would no doubt be just as tough on either 2K Or EA and or who ever else picks up the rights to the WWE games if THQ where to lose them.
    Sure THQ may not have had the technology way back when they first start to product the WWE / WWF games, however at some point in time like right around HCTP and DOR series, that is when THQ had some pretty good wrestling games, then for whatever there reasoning is they trashed it. I don't get it and to this day I will never get how one company of any kind can move in the right area and then ruin it with in the following year or so.

What ever the case is we will just have to wait and see what happens as far as the WWE games goes and any other games that THQ products.

The why is kinda easy if you think about it. Like many other businesses THQ goes through changes inside the company. Guys involved with the game are hired/fired/promoted/demoted, and in many cases, it tends to gain change with the progress of the game. A guy who had some of the ideas that HCTP had, may have moved on or may not have as much say as he/she used to, so when new people come in, they bring their ideas. All that needs to happen, is that you sell your idea the right way, and the following game is directed towards those new ideas. Now Marcus once said that the ideas that are agreed upon and written down to be intrigrated into game form, do not come out 100%, its usually decreased to the point where the starting idea has been dropped down to 60/70% when the final game comes out (There are many reasons for the drop, but it happens) So basically, even though a guy sells the new feature well, it doesnt mean that it will finish the same way, and you cant just scrap the idea once its finished, so the game takes the hit.

Thats why games that are looking up can take a serious hit when the following game comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by mccanehd View Post
    The why is kinda easy if you think about it. Like many other businesses THQ goes through changes inside the company. Guys involved with the game are hired/fired/promoted/demoted, and in many cases, it tends to gain change with the progress of the game. A guy who had some of the ideas that HCTP had, may have moved on or may not have as much say as he/she used to, so when new people come in, they bring their ideas. All that needs to happen, is that you sell your idea the right way, and the following game is directed towards those new ideas. Now Marcus once said that the ideas that are agreed upon and written down to be intrigrated into game form, do not come out 100%, its usually decreased to the point where the starting idea has been dropped down to 60/70% when the final game comes out (There are many reasons for the drop, but it happens) So basically, even though a guy sells the new feature well, it doesnt mean that it will finish the same way, and you cant just scrap the idea once its finished, so the game takes the hit.

Thats why games that are looking up can take a serious hit when the following game comes out.

I can understand all of that, I just think it's too bad once a company like THQ comes out with such a good product and they know it's good because of fans feedback on gaming forums etc, then they turn around and basically toss it out and try to redo somethings and make what they believe is a better game turns out to be noting more then trash.

That in it self just blows me away for the most part.

I wish I was a fly on the wall so to speak so I could just hear THQ & Yukes reasoning behind getting rid of good games like HCTP and DOR, instead of building onto them. I mean I can understand they want to try new things out and that's all fine and all but when you mess with something that the fans really like such as gameplay and other things it really makes me wonder what either THQ and or Yukes where really thinking at that point in time.

My Mood
    Angry

Again, its quite simple... stop making garbage and the profits will follow.
    Favorite All-Time Wrestlers:
    1) Bret Hart 2) Ultimo Dragon 3) Brock Lesnar 4) Kurt Angle 5) Chris Jericho

I will never call the WWE belt a championship again. Since it likes to be passed around like a slut, it'll be from this day forth known as the WWE "Championshit".

Tried the Demo justacooldudeuknow's Avatar

No offense but that sounds like a lazy answer. How would they improve the series in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    Again, its quite simple... stop making garbage and the profits will follow.

My Mood
    Crappy
    Quote Originally Posted by WWE RKO View Post
    I can understand all of that, I just think it's too bad once a company like THQ comes out with such a good product and they know it's good because of fans feedback on gaming forums etc, then they turn around and basically toss it out and try to redo somethings and make what they believe is a better game turns out to be noting more then trash.

That in it self just blows me away for the most part.

I wish I was a fly on the wall so to speak so I could just hear THQ & Yukes reasoning behind getting rid of good games like HCTP and DOR, instead of building onto them. I mean I can understand they want to try new things out and that's all fine and all but when you mess with something that the fans really like such as gameplay and other things it really makes me wonder what either THQ and or Yukes where really thinking at that point in time.
    I can't quite understand if you liked the gameplay of HCTP, how do you like the gameplay of DOR? I am not trying to pick a fight and maybe you some similarities that

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    Let the "Reality Era" reign supreme with C.M. Punk at the helm erasing the years of CRAPTITUDE from my mind.
    "I'm going to pull an Ultimate Warrior" -Cody Rhodes

My Mood
    Crappy
    I don't. Those games were completely different from a gameplay point of view. HCTP had very specific movesets which mirrored the Superstars movements all the way down to the jobbers pretty much. Though, it had very little depth as far as gameplay; specifically with the generic kick/push/shove reversals. Where DOR had the deepest reversal system of any WWE game including wrestler type reversals. It had weight detection and a very strategic submission design tied to a realistic stamina and body damage system in DOR 2. It's greatest weakness was HCTP's greatest feature which was the amount and specificity of their moves which DOR sufficiently lacked with 8 front grapples and 8 back grapples. To me those games were light years apart.

Though, if you enjoyed both more power to ya

Let the "Reality Era" reign supreme with C.M. Punk at the helm erasing the years of CRAPTITUDE from my mind.

My Mood
    Angry

Quote Originally Posted by justacooldudeuknow View Post
    No offense but that sounds like a lazy answer. How would they improve the series in your opinion?
    Listening to the fans first of all. Stop feeding me gimmicky garbage and BUILD the game play. Stop giving me new game modes to only ditch them a year later. Stop making Triple H 10000000X shiny when it takes a very long time to do it when you should be working on the meat and potatoes of the game. Just to name a few.
    Favorite All-Time Wrestlers:
    1) Bret Hart 2) Ultimo Dragon 3) Brock Lesnar 4) Kurt Angle 5) Chris Jericho

I will never call the WWE belt a championship again. Since it likes to be passed around like a slut, it'll be from this day forth known as the WWE "Championshit".

I can't quite understand if you liked the gameplay of HCTP, how do you like the gameplay of DOR? I am not trying to pick a fight and maybe you some similarities that

Yes I liked the gameplay of HCTP, no I can't really comment on DOR other then the fact I have heard a number of times how good it was just like No Mercy was.

I hope I answered your question.

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

I don't. Those games were completely different from a gameplay point of view. HCTP had very specific movesets which mirrored the Superstars movements all the way down to the jobbers pretty much. Though, it had very little depth as far as gameplay; specifically with the generic kick/push/shove reversals. Where DOR had the deepest reversal system of any WWE game including wrestler type reversals. It had weight detection and a very strategic submission design tied to a realistic stamina and body damage system in DOR 2. It's greatest weakness was HCTP's greatest feature which was the amount and specificity of their moves which DOR sufficiently lacked with 8 front grapples and 8 back grapples. To me those games were light years apart.

Though, if you enjoyed both more power to ya

True both Here Comes The Pain & DOR where light years a part. But it seemed to me like a lot of people really enjoyed them both depending on who you spoke to etc.

Achievement Hunter Lucid_Delusion's Avatar

So not to drag up an old topic but it didn't seem proper to post it in one of the other more active threads. Anyway, does anyone know what the current status on THQ as a whole is? I know they've dug themselves into a bit of a hole with the whole licensed properties issue and they've had to cancel a couple projects(similar to what Sega has done recently) but I haven't seen anything regarding their top franchises. Wonder if this would put their WWE games in jeopardy at all as they haven't sold as well in recent years.

-Currently Playing-
    Rock Band 2, Gears of War 2, The Beatles: Rock Band,
    Resident Evil 5, Red Dead Redemption, L.A. Noire
    Rock Band 3, CoD: Black Ops, Marvel vs Capcom 3
    Metal Gear Solid 4, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves,
    -Currently Awaiting-
    The Last Guardian, Agent, Dead Island

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid_Delusion View Post
    So not to drag up an old topic but it didn't seem proper to post it in one of the other more active threads. Anyway, does anyone know what the current status on THQ as a whole is? I know they've dug themselves into a bit of a hole with the whole licensed properties issue and they've had to cancel a couple projects(similar to what Sega has done recently) but I haven't seen anything regarding their top franchises. Wonder if this would put their WWE games in jeopardy at all as they haven't sold as well in recent years.
    I had an email last week I think it was but didn't bother sharing it because after reading through the email it seems as if everything as of right now is okay with THQ.

So as of right now there is noting new to report on this topic / subject. I'm sure if THQ was in more money problems then reported before we would be seeing more news up dates on more and more websites like here and IGN etc.

But as I've stated above there as of right now noting new to report on this very topic. If I find anything new or hear anything I'll be sure to post it, as I'm sure others would do the same here.

They seem to be coasting right now. They've got their primary five franchises: WWE, Warhammer, Saints, Darksiders, and UFC, at a workable stage, along with the Nick title they seem to randomly put out. I don't know if they have plans for any new IPs to replace any gap needing to be filled from sweeping the MX vs ATV and Red Faction franchises under the rug. I'd assume they wouldn't try to take any huge risks trying to discover a killer app and just work with what they have. Highly doubt they're in as serious enough of trouble as anti-THQers would like to hope.

CTO / Server Admin Ryan Kightlinger's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cynical

Things currently do not look very well for THQ's future. Their stock prices recently fell below 50 cents a share this week, with only a few months left before a delisting from the exchange will occur. At one time their stock was valued at $36 a share.

One of the harshest moves that fell on the company last week was their decision to change Warhammer from a mmorpg down to a single player game.

One of the only things on the bright side of THQ is the fact that they don't currently have any debt accumulated.

They will need to make a massive showing at E3 this year or it may spell the end.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ng-video-games

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168115/

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168169/
    Co-Founder of WrestlingGames.com [1996 - 2001]

My Mood
    Aggressive

I'm sure the THQ-Girls in Ryan's Profile Picture could make some money for the company...

"I Pledge Allegiance To The Straight Edge Society. One Nation Under Punk, Indivisible With Integrity, And Sobriety For All."

WWE Bragging Rights 2009 Prediction Winner
    WWE Elimination Chamber 2010 & 2011 Prediction Winner
    WWE Money In The Bank 2010 Prediction Winner
    WWE Royal Rumble 2011 Prediction Winner
    WWE Extreme Rules 2011 Prediction Winner
    WWE Over The Limit 2011 Prediction Winner
    WWE No Way Out 2012 Prediction Winner

CTO / Server Admin Ryan Kightlinger's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cynical

Quote Originally Posted by PunisherLH View Post
    I'm sure the THQ-Girls in Ryan's Profile Picture could make some money for the company...
    Unfortunately, they used a model agency for last years booking.
    Co-Founder of WrestlingGames.com [1996 - 2001]

My Mood
    Crappy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid_Delusion View Post
    IGN, may know the video game side of things and will post a rumor or two. If you want to know the money and financial status of THQ. Go to CNBC. They give up to the minute buyouts, mergers, etc. After 4 EST is after the market closes. That's your most reliable and real-time source imho. Just an update THQ Inc. closed at .49/share on the NASDAQ 4:16 pm EST.
    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Xarmark77; April 11, 2012 at 03:16 PM.

Gaming Purist

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Kightlinger View Post
    Things currently do not look very well for THQ's future. Their stock prices recently fell below 50 cents a share this week, with only a few months left before a delisting from the exchange will occur. At one time their stock was valued at $36 a share.

One of the harshest moves that fell on the company last week was their decision to change Warhammer from a mmorpg down to a single player game.

One of the only things on the bright side of THQ is the fact that they don't currently have any debt accumulated.

They will need to make a massive showing at E3 this year or it may spell the end.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ng-video-games

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168115/

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168169/
    I was talking to Brad about this whole stock thing a few days ago. Stock keeps going down which is bad.

Massive showing at e3? with what they dont have much. WWE13 thats about it unless they try to rush out Saints 4..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information